Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Overheard in the Therapy Room

I was working with a delightful elderly woman. Sometime during the evening, they had moved her into another room to be closer to the nurses station. The doctor wanted her to be watched closely as she gets confused and tries to get up by herself.

The rooms on our unit are private rooms, but many of them have shared bathrooms. In other words, the adjacent rooms have only one bathroom. We do have some rooms with private baths, in case we have patients who are on isolation precautions.

This patient had been told that, with the change of room, she would get a private bath.

But, there was a problem. There were only three rooms available near the nurses station. There were two female patients. and one male patient.

So, they had to move the male patient into the room that had the private bathroom so the two female patients could share a bathroom.

The patient I was working with was asking (again!) if she was going to get her own bathroom. I explained the situation to her.

Trying to make light of it I said, "We had to move Mr. X out of the room next door so you wouldn't have to share a bathroom with a man."

She replied rather sarcastically, "You sure know how to spoil all the fun!"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These little old, pleasantly confused ladies are too much fun. Well....maybe we did spoil her fun considering who Mr. X is.

10:10:00 PM  
Blogger dillyweed said...

Poor Mr. X. I'm sure he could have had fun with that cute, young 85 year old lady.
Maybe even mowed her lawn! :)

10:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also work with L.O.L.'s who make me L.O.L. One of my cuties, a sharp woman at 103 years young, asked me if I watched the show the "View". She said in a recent episode they described how to put on a condom. I did not ask for details.

11:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home