Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Falwell

Jerry Falwell died today.

As I have posted on this blog before, I have not been a fan of Jerry Falwell.

When I heard the news of his death, let's just say I wasn't exactly sad about it.
OK. I was oddly happy about it.

My friend at work was a bit taken aback by my reaction. And, after a few hours to think about it, I see her point.

To celebrate another human being's death is so...well, it's what Jerry Falwell would have done.
So, I will try to remember the words of Dr. King:

"Hate begets hate, violence begets violence. Toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love" (1958).

So, in that spirit,
RIP Rev. Falwell.

3 Comments:

Blogger dillyweed said...

Good girl. I'm proud of you.
And what does it say about me that I didn't even know who he was when I heard Fred say he died? That's sad in itself, don't ya think?

9:35:00 PM  
Blogger godfreysmama said...

You are not missing anything by not knowing who he was.

9:36:00 PM  
Blogger California Girl said...

I knew of the man and didn't particularaly like him. He became a characture of himself in his later years saying more and more outlandish things. He started the Religious Right and Moral Majority and got a lot of people mobilized to influence elections and policy. For what he accomplished in his life, he was a great man. For what he stood for, I am vehemetly opposed and am not too sorry his voice will no longer spew hatred. I never wished him harm. Had we ever come face to face I am sure we would never had agreed on much of anything and I will not miss his brand of hatred.

9:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home