Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Goodbye


When I first started at the hospital, my supervisor gave me the following advice:
"Don't get attached to anyone who works here because they all eventually leave."
Early on, I didn't listen to her. I went ahead and bonded with a number of other employees.
But, Joan was right. They all eventually left.
So, I have learned over the years to protect my heart. I've always thought I was pretty good at guarding it. I'd say to myself, "These are not my friends. They are just my co-workers."
Even then, every once in awhile, one of them worms their way into the rock that beats in my chest.
And once again, they leave.
My friend Gladys left last month. And my boy Bart left soon after that.
This time it is Katie (the one on the left) who is leaving. We had some good times at The Yard House sipping (AKA guzzling) martinis and gossiping about the work day. She was a joy to work with.
We will miss her and wish her a safe journey back to Massachusetts.
Yes, they all eventually leave. But, I guess it is better to have known them for a short time than to have never known them at all.
PS: When the one on the right eventually goes...well, I don't even want to think about that. ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger dillyweed said...

Ah Kathers. Yeah, we'll sure miss her, won't we? I'm sad for her to be gone too. Too bad we couldn't woo her with our martinis and beaches.
And I have to say, I'm glad to see that the "rock in your chest" has some soft spots still. (You can't fool me. I know the softy you truly are!)

p.s. "Hey everyone, let's decorate the Mardi Gras float!!!"

9:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home