Friday, June 13, 2008

Results Are In. Sort of.

So, I went for my exercise treadmill test yesterday.

Let me just say this:
I walked into a waiting room full of people waiting to have their tests done.
Trouble was, I was the only one there under 70.

When my name was called, I went into a room where the tech hooked me up to the heart and blood pressure monitors.

Then he told me to get onto the treadmill.

"The test lasts for 8 minutes," he informed me.
"The level of intensity and speed will increase every 3 minutes. If you need to stop, let me know, and that's when the test will be over."

It started off at a leisurely pace. Not too fast with a low incline. I could have gone at this pace for quite some time.
After a few minutes, while I was still walking, he took my blood pressure again.

"In 30 seconds, the treadmill is going to the next level."

"Bring it on, Oscar," I thought to myself. This wasn't so bad.

The next 3 minutes definitely made me break a sweat. But, I was still breathing comfortably, and my knees were holding up.
Why, I had more pain the time Briana was trying to win a pedometer in a contest and dragged my sorry behind around the Rose Bowl. Three times.
This was a piece of cake really.

I was snapped back into reality when he started asking me if I was having chest pain or any discomfort.

Should I be? Am I and I just don't realize it? Am I having a silent heart attack? Can he see it on the monitor? Just what is he getting at with all this questioning?

He took my blood pressure again, while I'm still walking.

"In 30 seconds, the treadmill is going to go faster and at a greater incline."

The last couple of minutes were quite unpleasant. I had thoughts of telling him I had to stop.
But, I didn't want Oscar to think I was a wimp. So, I kept going.

How do all those old people in the waiting room do this?

"Do you have any chest pain or discomfort?"

Hell yes, I have some discomfort! You turned this fricking thing up to sprint runner speed.

"You have about 30 seconds more." he said.

In my head, I started counting down from 30. It was the only way to distract myself from the constant gasping for air.

When the treadmill finally stopped, he took my blood pressure about 5 more times.

"We'll fax the results to your doctor tomorrow. You can call her then."

I talked to the doctor's nurse today.
Apparently, the test results were OK, but the doctor wants me to come in to discuss my blood pressure.

I guess when I walk on a treadmill that's set like I'm walking up Mt Everest at breakneck speed, my blood pressure rises.

Go figure.

BTW, you need to take that blood work prescription out of your purse and go to the lab, Chris!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, how did you know it was me?
I will get those tests done after I stop eating sugar for a couple weeks, start running everyday for a couple weeks, stop drinking caffeine for at least a week, eat more salads then french fries for at least a week and....oh yeah, and also need to sell our house first, get the kids off to college, and move to a city where I don't know a soul. I think with all this going on, I will definitely need some tests taken, although mental health tests might be more appropriate. (ha,ha)

11:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home