Friday, December 12, 2008

Remembering Grandma



Today is my Grandma's birthday. She passed away a few years ago.
She played an important role in my childhood.

Every year on her birthday, she would put up the Christmas Curtain.
That's when Christmas really started for me, my sisters and my cousins.

My grandparents had a couple of big windows in their house out in the country.
Grandma would wrap up little trinkets and hang them from her curtain.
She would put ribbon on them to indicate if the gift was appropriate for a boy or girl, for older kids or younger kids etc.

Every time we went to their house, we got to pick a gift from the curtain.
We lived pretty nearby, so we got to pick a lot.

The gifts were nothing really big.
A little box of chocolates, a paddle ball, a game of jacks.

Such a little thing, really.
But, one of my favorite memories of Christmas past.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

What a great memory! Every year my godmother would make about 20 batches of cookies and put about five or six in a baggie, making a HUGE box of cookies that she would gift to use, including the BEST fruitcake (dense, black, sweet with huge fruit chunks) I have tasted. RIP Edna, we miss you even more than we miss the cookies (and that's saying a lot!)

12:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home