Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Crying, Wailing, Sobbing and Talking

I watched Dylan and Addie for a few hours last week, while their Mom and Dad went to a movie.

Before they left, Dylan announced that he was also going to go to the movie.
His Daddy explained to him that just he and Mommy were going to go see the movie.

This did not sit very well with the toddler and he continued to insist on going too.

So, Ryan said something like, "Mommy and Daddy are going to see the movie first and then later we'll take you to see a movie."

Dylan seemed quite happy with this and wished them a good time as they left.

Problem solved, right? Um. Not really, no.

As it got closer to bedtime for Dillie, he told me he was staying up because Mommy and Daddy were coming home to "take me to a movie."

When I told him that he wasn't going to a movie that night, he started behaving like...well, a three year old.

Me: "Dylan, Daddy meant that he and Mommy would take you to a movie another night. Not tonight."

Dylan: Starting to cry, "NO! Mommy and Daddy are coming home and taking me to the movie!"

Me: "No, Dillie. Mommy and Daddy want you to go to bed tonight and then maybe in a few days, they will take you to see a movie."

Dylan: Starting to wail, "No! Mommy and Daddy take me to the movie when they get home."

Me: "Now Dylan...it's OK. You will get to see a movie, but not tonight. You have to got to sleep now."

Dylan: Starting to sob, "But, Mommy and Daddy say I can see a movie."

Me: "Why don't you finish watching "Barney" for now, OK?" He settled down for a few minutes.

Then came up to me as I was feeding Addie and said, "When Mommy and Daddy get home, I go to the movie!!"

When I told him he was going to go to bed, the whole cycle of crying, wailing and sobbing started over again.
I decided my mistake was trying to reason with a toddler.
So, I told him he could talk to Mommy and Daddy about it when they got home. But, he would have to go to bed first and wait for them.

This turned into more weeping and whining, but he did lay down in his bed.

After twenty minutes or so, it got kind of quiet in his room, so I went to check on him.
Out of the darkness, a little blonde head popped up and said, "Are they home yet?"
He was sound asleep by the time they walked through the door.

While he was sleeping, I had a little chat with Addie.
See how much speech she's learned.
A speech therapist's dream!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow....she makes more sense than some of your patients

9:18:00 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Wow! Great eye contact, sorta puts my clients with autism in perspective! (She is a speech pathologist's dream!)

12:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home