Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Real State

I missed most of the President's State of the Union address last night. I got stuck in some major traffic.
I'm sure it was full of the usual rhetoric. And, of course, distortions of the truth.
I did a little research and found out some interesting facts.
I present them so that my Republican friends ( you know who you are ) will have all the information they need when they walk into the voting booth come November.

Here is the real State of the Union:

1. The cost of heating oil in 2000: $1.40/gallon.
The cost of heating oil in 2008: $3.39/gallon.

2. The price of gasoline in 2000: $1.59/gallon.
The price of gasoline in 2008: $3.14/gallon.

3. Exxon Mobil profits in 2000: 7.9 billion.
Exxon Mobil profits in 2006: 36.1 billion.

4. Percentage of the federal budget spent on the military-NOT including Iraq, in 2007: 50%.
Percentage of the fiscal year 2007 federal budget spent on education: 6.2%.

5. The National Debt 2001: 5.7 trillion dollars.
The National Debt 2008: 9.2 trillion dollars.

6. U.S. budget balance 2000: 236 billion dollar surplus.
U.S. budget balance 2007: 354 billion dollar deficit.

7. Value of the Euro in dollars, 2000: $1.01.
Value of the Euro in dollars, 2008: $1.45.

8. Total consumer credit debt 2001: 7.65 trillion dollars.
Total consumer credit debt 2008: 12.8 trillion dollars.

9. Yearly number of new private sector jobs created from 1992-2000: 1.76. million.
Yearly number of new private sector jobs created from 2001 to 2008: 369,000.

10. Number of Americans without healthcare in 2001: 38 million.
Number of Americans without healthcare in 2007: 46 million.

11. Percentage of people abroad who view America favorably in 2001: 58.3%.
Percentage of people abroad who view America favorable in 2007: 39.2%.

That, my friends, is the real state of the union.


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, I'm going to bite here and just say one thing....I don't think we can blame any president for the OUR individual consumer credit debt (#8 on the list). If individuals choose to increase their credit debt and private credit lenders allow it, then the president has nothing to do with it. I don't care what president is in office, they can't take the blame for our personal lack of financial discipline. CS

11:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The whole Monica Lewinski thing ain't lookin' that bad.....

7:16:00 PM  
Blogger godfreysmama said...

OK..you have a problem with #8.
I would just say people get into debt for a number of reasons. The cost of energy, food, healthcare etc are all going up, while wages and job security go down. Sometimes this forces people to borrow more. I'm not excusing it...but just trying to put my two cents in as to why people borrow. I think people borrow hoping that things will get better.
Unfortunately, there have been 7 very bad years.
Now,,,what do you think of the other 11 points? ;)

7:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be quite honest, I don't think I know one person that only buys what they need. Therefore, I guess I don't believe that people increase their debt due to the cost of energy, food, and healthcare. I believe they like Starbucks, big screen TVs, and they like BIG cars. Regarding the other items on the list, I wouldn't be surprised if they were true, but I hardly ever believe stats or polls as they are all "spinnable". I know, I know...easy way out of the question. :) CS

8:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

miss godfrey..... can i borrow your 2 cents? "The Real State"..... priceless!

9:00:00 PM  
Blogger godfreysmama said...

Hmmmm. A national debt of about 9 trillion. and $350 billion dollar deficit.
What a wonderful example of fiscal responsibilty the current administration has been, hasn't it?.
When the govenment stops borrowing from China, perhaps Mr and Mrs Smith (no offense) will stop charging the groceries on the VISA card. :)

10:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but the good side is that Mr and Mrs Smith are getting free airline miles using that Visa card at the grocery store. Okay, all joking aisde, I'm not happy with the deficit either and I honestly feel sorry for the clean up crew voted into office for the next 4 years.

2:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home