Sunday, March 18, 2007

Iraq


I was all set to write a post about my losses at the racetrack today. How "One Sock Wonder" lost by a nose in the third race of my Pick Three.

It was a long shot. I know.

Then I came home and watched my recording of "This Week with George Stephanopoulos".
And I got my priorities straight again.

One of the features on the the program is called "In Memoriam". They flash the names of the soldiers and marines who lost their lives this week in Iraq and Afghanistan. There were 21 names.

One of them belonged to PFC Alberto Garcia Jr. He died in Baghdad last Tuesday from wounds suffered from small-arms fire and an explosive. Even though I did not know him, he was from my hometown, Bakersfield, CA. He was only 23 years old. Not much older than one of my nephews. Just a baby really.

As the Iraq War enters it's fifth year, over 3200 military men and women have lost their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan. The wounded total about 24,000. More than 60,000 Iraqi civilians are dead.

And all of this for $532 billion.

How many more young people have to sacrifice their lives for George W's War? Do we really think we can win this if we just keep pouring more money into it?

I don't think so.

Not by a long shot.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home