Saturday, July 26, 2008

Choking On Hospital Food

Last week, we had a bit of a scare at lunch.
I was in the nurse's lounge with Mendy, Donna and Dee.

Mendy, shown here re-creating the event, began to choke on her salad.
I asked "Are you choking?"
She nodded yes and Donna and I jumped up to help.
As I got behind her, I wrapped my arms around her and gave her an abdominal thrust.
Truth be told, she had already managed to dislodge whatever was in her airway by herself.
As we started to calm down, we realized that Dee was still in the recliner.
Still munching on her pear as if nothing unusual was happening around her.

"I was going to help."
"How?", we asked. "When you finished your pear?"
"I was going to call a code," she said.
"Do you know what number to call?"
"Yeah. It's #6."
"No. It's 6#."

"Whatever."



This is Dee, practicing what she should have done in the first place.
Springing into action.


Here is a youtube video that shows you what to do if you are ever alone and choking on food.
Or, what to do if you find yourself eating alone with Dee in the nurse's lounge.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home